Happy 2020 Everyone! 2019 seemed to have gone flying by, it had been a very busy year for me – lots of really interesting Qlik projects, learnt a lot of new skills and of course, lot more about Qlik’s internal workings. With that in mind – I wanted to share an interesting concept today – how to build and deploy a “JSON” file connector using no additional tools other than what you already have installed in your Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows environment.
The vision of democratising data, making everyone explore and find insights from corporate data is one of the biggest drivers behind Qlik Sense. But what happens when you find the insights you have been looking for? How do you share that with your peers? We have seen some great examples which allow you to share links with your selections (using app API) or take a snapshot and share it via email. But that is lacking the true intuitiveness that we are so used to from a platform. We also have seen extensions such as Lets comment and few other similar chat/commenting options, but they require 3rd party services that business will have to setup and sign up to.
Another sleepless night and another extension (or 2.. see the Score Card extension details below)! Ability to display a process flow/steps is something I missed in Qlik Sense. Yes, you can build multiple visualisations and put them in certain order to create a process flow but that uses up the screen space and do not always look great in mobile view. So, I decided to build something that is simple to use and allows the user to set up a flow/steps for their process and ability to display different visualisations for each step.
I have been working on a Data Literacy project with my 6 year year old son the past few weeks (I will cover that topic another time). I wanted to make the charts more relatable for him. To get him to engage with the data side, I found myself developing a few extensions. The project revolves around a game that I built (17 years ago…) and I needed to display the results with his game avatar. And that led to these 2 simple extensions.
I am happy to announce that I have my new personal project on Qlik Branch after finally managed to make some time for it. The few hours I have spent on this resulted in a variable management solution (or the first part of it!).
UPDATE: New download “Data Load Script” option added